Wednesday, October 1, 2008

update...

I have not had the motivation to do much of anything since my surgery. I am in a mental fog it would seem. I have to say that the first few days were extremely painful. Not in the abdomen, but almost everywhere else. The only pains I have felt in the abdomen at all were from the constant coughing following the intubation which left my throat so sore for about 4-5 days. I commented on all those pains in the previous post. I even asked the Dr. Kia's nurse about all the pains when I called to set up my follow-up appointment. She said that Dr. Kia said to call in a couple days if they did not go away. Nothing else.

Then I talked to Jaime and found out that the really bad pains all over were from the carbon dioxide that they pump into you to expand the work area. Jaime told me I should be spending a lot of time flat on my back and take Gas-X or something like that. So that night I did that and I was a little better in the morning.

A couple days later my friend Linda told me I should make sure I drink lots of water and I think she told me to keep active. Well, I basically have no pain from the surgery one week later. The incision site is sealed with ?Dermaplast or Dermabond? The bruising is at least 75% gone. I still have swelling of the abdomen, but I am down 12 pounds. The day after my surgery it showed that I had gained 4 pounds in the hospital. I have my check-up with Dr. Kia on October 9.

My biggest problem now is still the pain in my right arm and shoulder. I try to do things, but am very limited. When I do find something that I am motivated to do, I pay the price later by having my arm become more painful. I can't wait until Monday when I get to see my orthopedic surgeon for X-rays of the shoulder and hips. My hips are still achey (sp), but not as painful and difficult to walk on at this time. I have basket convention in two weeks and this arm is not going to survive 6 days of weaving. I hope they figure out what is going on and can do a quick fix so I am on my way to Battle Creek on the 21st.

Ray went up to the property to hunt yesterday. Haven't heard from him yet. He will be home for the weekend. He hates hunting up north on the weekends. Besides--he likes to watch a bit of football and hunt here at home as well.

Hope all is well for all of you out there!!! Stay in touch!!!

No comments: