Sunday, October 26, 2008

Association of Michigan Basketmakers Convention...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008--I left home around 2 p.m. for Battle Creek, Michigan for the annual basket convention. It was being held at the McCamly Plaza Hotel downtown. I arrived around 4:30 p.m. to register. My room was on the 14th floor of 16.




I made healthy fat-free carrot muffins for my breakfasts and took a tub of no-fat vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit and my favorite orange tangerine juice--that was my daily breakfast along with my coffee full of antioxidants and my Advil! I had asked for a refrigerator and microwave for my room as I am still on a restricted diet since my gallbladder removal. They had a frig in my room--with no freezer in it, so I could not use my ice pack. No microwave--they don't have them. I was to ask someone at the desk to warm my soup twice a day for the 5 days. I had them warm it that night, but then decided it was too much hastle to wait in lines--so, I ate my soup cold for the remaining 4 days. Soup & crackers and low-fat cottage cheese and fruit and my Advil were my lunches and dinners. I had 100-calorie popcorn snacks before bed with my Advil. Do you see a boring pattern here. If I wasn't so determined to behave myself I would have gone nuts eating like this any other time. I have dropped only 20 pounds, but am determined to drop more.


Wednesday, October 22, 2008--Weaving began at 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. and I wove the "Mini Swing" with Alice Ogden from Franklin, New Hampshire. She harvests the black ask trees with her husband (a logger) and prepares all the materials herself. She hand carves the white oak rims and traditional "swing" handle. The class was for advanced weavers and I had no problems except for my arm and shoulder. Alice was a great teacher and I would take a class from her again!



I finished the 8-hour basket early. One basket FINISHED!


Thursday, October 23, 2008--I wove the "Black-n-White Nantucket with Sheila King of Ft. Myers, Florida. I have woven with Sheila before. She had a different technique for beginning the basket which I think I like! This was a beginning level class and I wanted it because of its color. I wanted some baskets to put in Jaime's room--now my office which is done in black and white. Again, I was able to finish this 8-hour class early and just love the little basket.



Sheila--in red--with my friend, Pearl--whom I have woven with in previous years--and was in this class with me.


Isn't it just the cutest little thing! Second basket FINISHED!!


On Friday, I wove "Black and White Pot Belly" with Marlys Sowers of Milo, Iowa. I have now woven five baskets with Marlys. Her husband, Jeff does all the wood work for her. This was an intermediate level basket. I finished this basket 1 1/2 hours early. This is another one I chose for it's colors. Now I have two black and white baskets in my black and white office. I bought one of their kits for a black and white lidded vase that I plan to make and use as a pencil/pen holder in the office as well.


Here is Marlys holding her sample basket. My finished basket is pictured below.


This basket is done on a puzzle mold so we can get it out of the basket.

Third basket FINISHED!!!


Saturday, October 25, 2008--I had the pleasure of weaving with Pam Talsky of Waterford, Wisconsin. Her class was the "Dresser Treasure Tray". The basket is the treasure, not what you put in it. We started with a one-of-a-kind Alaskan yellow cedar burl base, pine needles that Pam had personally treated with glycerin (which makes them soft and supple and requires no preparation with water to weave with them), and artificial sinew. We all wove diligently, but were unable to finish our baskets. Pam's supplier had sent her bases which were considerably bigger than the ones she had ordered, which meant that we received a more expensive base and used more materials in order to weave the basket and thus--it took considerably longer. The only pine needle class I had ever taken was with Theresa Ohno, who passed away several years ago. Pam has won numerous awards for her work. She is so giving of her time and talents for her students. We sat in the open weave section outside of the charity baby shower weave-in from 7:30-10:30 p.m. and Pam made trips out to help us periodically throughout the 3 hours. When the shower ended, Pam spent the time with us so that I finished my basket around 11 p.m.



Pam is the one in the apron.




I have no clue why this blog decided to tip this picture sideways, but no matter how I try--it still does the same. Tip your head to the right to see the top of the basket. I simply cannot tell you how much I love how this basket turned out. I think it is one of my favorite baskets--EVER! I will weave with Pam again hopefully.

Fourth basket finished!!!!


Sunday, October 26, 2008--the final day of convention. I wove the "Scalloped Tulip" with Nancy Carlson of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. I chose this basket because Becky loves tulips and it will go well in her bedroom due to the color used. It also has a very interesting border which I wanted to learn. I have taken a class from Nancy in the past. I finished this basket 30 minutes early and was on the road before the class should have ended at 11:30 a.m.


Here's Nancy holding her "Scalloped Tulip".



Can you believe it? I usually come home with three or four baskets from convention, but not all of them are finished. This year I wove five baskets and was able to finish four of the five early and the fifth came home completed as well. I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to weave with my shoulder issues. I had such a great time weaving. I hated the fact that I had no one to attend convention with this year. It makes for some very long evenings. I guess I wouldn't have been much company anyway. Restricted diet and all. My shoulder says it is good to be home and I had to quit my Advil due to my upcoming knee surgery. Can't wait until next year's convention.

On the way home, I stopped to see some fishing friends just north of Charlotte. Connie showed me all her beautiful quilts and paintings and stained glass work to name a few. Al showed off his awesome antlers from this year's deer. Connie fixed a wonderful meal of baked chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy and corn and rolls and salad and apple pie. Everything was absolutely delicious.

Home again, home again--jiggidy jig!!!


1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

Looks like you had a great time and all you baskets are finished!!!! You have some beautiful baskets there. Love ya