Fishing this year was as up and down as the weather. Ray & Dan & Peggy & I fished whenever we thought the lake was smooth enough for any or all of us. We were disappointed with the fishing in general. We had a couple good days, but nothing like last year. All toll, we caught less than half of last year's catch. This picture was my attempt to capture the sunset as we entered the channel one evening. You can see how crazy it has been with boats fishing inside and just outside of the channel after the cold water came in and stayed in.
July 29
August 1
We did our normal Manistee things. We walked the river walk a couple times. Peggy and I cooked lots of fresh out-of-the-water salmon recipes this year and they were all delicious!
Grilled Salmon with Pineapple Salsa
Dan & Peg and Ray & I played 9 holes of golf on Rae Ann's birthday! And as usual, we left some of our hard earned cash at the Little River Casino while here.
No trip would be complete without seeing at least one freighter in the channel.
"Manistee" out of Cleveland, Ohio
And we once again saw the results of someone setting their GPS inside the pierheads. A 24-foot Thompson from the Fenton area ran into the south pier while trying to get back in the fog. It sheared the lower unit right off of the I/O motor.
We had the pleasure of seeing the Great Lakes American/Canadian Cruise ship.
"Grande Mariner" comes into Manistee Channel as we return from fishing.
Not everything about this trip was exciting. While out golfing with Dan & Peg, Ray tried to outdrive my one and only awesome drive of the day--175 yards, and put his back into spasms. He asked me to take him to the ER the next morning and spent several days on valium, hydrocodone/acetaminophen, and ibuprophen. He made the statement: "Wow--it's hard to believe that just 12 hours ago I was in the ER." We all looked at him and I said: "That was 36 hours ago." He did a lot of sleeping and after gradually weaning him off the drugs, he now believes he does not need to be seen by a doctor! Surprise! Surprise!
Favorite sunset!
Favorite Sunrise!
I experienced 3 more painful episodes during the nights of Aug. 2, 8, & 13. I had had 4 episodes prior to leaving for Manistee. I went to my doctor yesterday when we arrived home and his first round of tests will be on the gall bladder. I have an ultrasound on the 26th.
I experienced 3 more painful episodes during the nights of Aug. 2, 8, & 13. I had had 4 episodes prior to leaving for Manistee. I went to my doctor yesterday when we arrived home and his first round of tests will be on the gall bladder. I have an ultrasound on the 26th.
Got our limit on August 12 and 4 more on August 13
Our final fish of the season--Ray's 17 Lb. King on August 14!
Ray & I celebrated our 38th anniversary a day early as we would be driving 4 hours to return home on our actual anniversary. After cleaning the 17 lb. fish, we drove to Onekama for a bowl of the Blue Slipper Bakery & Pizzeria's homemade soup. Then out to the Heathlands to play 18 holes of golf. Back to the Blue Slipper Restaurant for their earlybird dinner specials. We had Roast Rack of Pork--out of this world, and Kobe Steak & Shrimp Conquistadore--to die for!
Last night we had spumante and the leftovers from the Blue Slipper for our actual anniversary, and we looked at our wedding pictures again--as has become our tradition.
Today we played in the Willow Springs Club Championship. We had a great time! We will be finishing the competition tomorrow.
That's all for now folks!







1 comment:
congrats on the 38 years. Looks like you had a very busy but fun summer!
Post a Comment