Thursday, August 21, 2008

Well, things could be better...

Ray & I finished the club championships without ending up at the very bottom of our flights. We had a good time! We love to golf!

Monday I had stage II of my dental implant. Well, I think poor Dr. Baumstark should not have been forced to deal with me the day before his major facial cancer and reconstructive surgery. (Am praying he got through it without incident as he has adverse reactions to anesthesia.) It seems the bone graft got a little agressive and grew a little too much. It grew up around the piece that needed to be removed after reopening the gum tissue. So, he had to grind down the bone around the implant to get the screw out, and grind down some more bone after the temporary screw was removed in order to fit the new screw in place. Then they could not get the new permanent screw in after at least 4 attempts, because it was too short and I have a small mouth. Yes--you read that correctly--I have a small mouth--and Dr. B said that I was to tell anyone who disagreed that I have it on good authority from my oral surgeon that my mouth is too small. So they got a longer screw and were able to screw it in place on the 1st try. But because of all the extra work required, it opened up too much of the gum and left a couple of flaps that had to be restitched. I'm so glad this is done, but because of the smallness of my mouth, Dr. B believes that Dr. Hobson is going to have a difficult time with the crown. Drat! I hate it when that happens! So, due to all the trauma to the gums once again, I was given hydrocodone and amoxicillin and anaprox. I hate taking medicine!

Then I had an appointment with my chiropractor whom I had not seen since my back crisis in 2002. Dr. Haskin said my pelvis was rotated so that the right side was forward and my left side was back. That caused my SI to freeze up and that in turn caused my hips to rotate inward so I was walking pidgeon-toed. Let's fact it--I have become a complete mess! She is great! I am walking so much better and in almost no pain for the first time in almost a month.

So, back to Friday--I talked to Dr. Rao about all that Rae Ann & Jaime have learned about their own health in the past few months and he has me set up with an appointment with a hematologist. He wants to determine if I carry the same genes that affect clotting that Jaime has. He will not approve my knee surgery on November 6 until he has answers to that question. So, he will first try to determine what is wrong with my stomach or whatever and then see if I have good genes for surgery and then complete a physical and probably find who knows what wrong with this increasingly troublesome old body of mine and then hopefully approve my surgery. Gotta love retirement.

And that we do! Ray & I were able to spend the last two gorgeous days on golf courses. We headed up to Mt. Pleasant and played 18 holes at Buck's Run. What an awesome course! I was not feeling well--stomach, tooth, back & hips--so I could have played better, but I did okay. Then we got in touch with Kathy & Al and ended up spending the night with them. That allowed us to play Pleasant Hills before we headed home today. We have just 3 or 4 more courses (out of the 21) to play on our 2008 Golf Card. What a bargain that has turned out to be for us. We could never do this if we were not retired! So--those of you who still are putting in your time--develop a passion and get ready to put it into action when you retire! Life is too short! Love to all!

No comments: