Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday?

Well, I just got off the phone with Lori from Dr. Weir's office. She received my 21-question letter and wanted Ray & I to come in to get the answers. I did get a few of the questions answered while on the phone with her because I was about to lose my window of opportunity for having my first knee replacement at the beginning of November. Their first opening was October 23 which is during my annual basket convention. They never do both knees at once as it greatly increases the risk of blood clots and death. Lori will be sending me a packet of information as well as the address of a website that Dr. Weir likes his patients with questions to have access to.

So, even though Ray was not here to confer with, I set the date. I will be having my right knee replaced on Thursday, November 6 at 10 a.m. I can change to the left knee (if it becomes more problematic than the right) as late as the day before surgery. I will see Dr. Weir on October 27 at 4 p.m. for my presurgical visit.

I will have to have a physical 30 days or less, prior to surgery. I will be getting some things done before that time and may have to have some things redone within the 30 days, but I need to find out about these questionable blood issues. I have to have all my implant work done prior to surgery or wait for at least 3 months after surgery for further dental work or cleanings of any kind. I will not have to donate blood as transfusions for knee surgeries are rarely needed. She said I may need a release from a cardiologist to have the surgery, but I guess I am not sure if that will be required at this time or not. I will most likely have to get my second surgery on the calendar soon after the first in order to secure my preferred time slot. They usually wait 2-3 months between surgeries, so having my other knee done after winter ski season will work out just fine.

So, I called my Mom to tell her so they won't book any appointments that they want me to take them to during the time I am incapacitated and recuperating. I don't think Ray will have a problem with the date as he is the one who suggested that I do it right after I got back from basket convention (Oct. 22-26) in the beginning of November. I had a cardiologist appointment that I had already approved for my Dad for October 29, so he will be able to keep that. And--I have another teeth cleaning scheduled for October 30. Dr. Weir does not want me to have any surgeries or dental cleanings for at least 3 months following surgery. Since Dr. Weir only does surgeries on T, Th & F and I decided I didn't want it on election day because it would have put the date of my presurgical visit overlapping my time at basket convention, I chose Nov. 6.

So--after a lot of thought--it's on the calendar!

No comments: