Boy, I was nervous about todays appointment with Dr. Weir--orthopedic surgeon--and now I guess, rightfully so. I was so hoping that he would take a look and tell me that a quick little arthroscopy would do the trick. No deal! He came in and said: "I am so surprised at what I'm seeing, it is not what I expected at all."
I have totally destroyed every bit of cartilage behind my knee caps with all the numerous falls these knees have taken over my 59 years. There is nothing left and thus we have bone on bone in both knees. When I asked him, just how bad is it. He said, "Well, I could operate on both of these knees tomorrow and it would not be too soon."
Apparently the fall on March 4 simply broke off the very last of the small amount of cartilage I had in the left knee and that is the reason I have been having so much trouble and pain with it. Well, at least I have a matched pair of knees. And I now know that it is not all in my head.
I am scheduled to see him in a year to evaluate the progress of the knees--or sooner if need be--I decide. I just don't have time to deal with this right now. There is too much on the platter! (Note I didn't say plate, I said platter--a plate isn't big enough any more.)
I was so shocked and went into a kind of grief or mourning over the news. It was all I could do to not break down and cry. I am always the healthy & strong one around this family. I can't be the sick or weak one. Well, if He takes you to it, He will see you through it. So, I will stop mourning the loss of healthy knees and do what I must and not do what I must'nt. I am not to kneel, stoop, squat, do stairs, or bike or anything that causes the knee to do a 90 degree bend--like sitting. He even told me to sit in an aisle seat at the theater so I can have my legs extended. I can still walk, golf, and use my new eliptical that Ray got me in Feb.
So, life goes on. All things considered in this family, I am very thankful that I have a great doctor--did 2 of Mom's knee surgeries and her shoulder surgery and Ray's hip surgery. He will make sure that things go as well as they can--with the help of the Great Healer.
Nerve 2016 Engelske Stemmer
6 years ago







1 comment:
Mom you are the strong one in the family that is always there for others, however you won't be able to do that if you are not in the best of health. Your health is so important to who you are. Don't forget that! Love you and miss you.
Post a Comment