Monday, November 1, 2010

I Won Something...

Was I excited when I won the Grace Kabel Scholarship? Well, here is the entry I made in my Facebook account the very evening I was informed I had won:

by Lana Koch Schultz on Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:00pm
I am so excited!!! I got a call from Leslie Spurrier tonight; she is the president of the Association of Michigan Basketmakers. She called to tell me that I have been chosen from all the members of the AMB to receive the "Grace Kabel Scholarship" worth $500 to attend this year's annual convention. Grace Kabel was largely responsible for the advancement of basket making in MI and the beginning of the annual convention in 1981. I was blessed to have Grace as a teacher in 1985, and still have my Victorian Christmas Basket that I wove in a class she taught. I also bought a wall flower vase (Grace wove it) from her at marketplace one year at convention before she passed away in 2004 I believe. She was a very talented and gentle lady. I will be attending this year's convention: "Great Baskets, Great Friends, Great Times" free of charge. I only have to pay for the hotel!!! How awesome is that!!!

So there you have it, the history of my memories of Grace Kabel. What that doesn’t say is that I was sitting on my couch looking through the class booklet at that very moment around 8:30 p.m. when Leslie called, trying to decide whether I should apply to attend this year or not. With tears streaming down my face, I had to factor in my parent’s poor health, but humbly accepted the honor. It was because of the scholarship that I indeed attended the conference and had one of the best experiences since my first convention in (I believe, if my memory serves me) 1985. I had been blessed with this opportunity to celebrate my 25 years since that first convention.

I have been attempting to weave all five days at convention in the past several years, and this year was no exception. I arrived Tuesday evening at the hotel as I was ecstatic to receive my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 14th choices. I collected my new logo shirt from the merchandise area and purchased a new convention apron and was ready to weave.

I wove Pam Talsky’s “Little Show Off” on Wednesday using glycerin pine needles and sinew. I loved working with Pam and the materials again and love the finished product, just as I had in the past. I left class for a few minutes to take my “Victorian Christmas Basket” that I had woven under Grace Kabel’s instruction as well as the wall flower vase which I had purchased from Grace down to the exhibit room. I had also prepared a binder of my memories of Grace along with all the instruction books Grace had published and I had purchased for the exhibit. I finished my creation in my room that evening.




My first basket complete, I was eager for Thursday when I would weave Marlys Sowers’ “Small Jewelry Basket”. This was a lidded Nantucket style that is absolutely gorgeous. We broke to attend the “Great Lunch with Great Friends” luncheon. Good food and great friends at my side, I was once again blessed. During the raffle drawing, I won a beautiful Swarovski crystal bracelet which was made and donated by Grace Sturges, and a little silver basket zipper pull. Thank you so very much Grace—it’s even my favorite color—shades of purple.


Heading back to class with my new bracelet proudly at my wrist, Marlys and Jeff did not disappoint me this year or any other year that I have woven with them and now completed some 7 baskets.






In the evening I attended the Vendor’s Showcase Extravaganza and made some purchases for future weaving, and entered my tickets for the $100 merchandise prize drawing.

Friday I was privileged to work with a new teacher, Ruth Garcia, who taught me the “Dark Hour Glass Vase”. I completed it prior to the end of class. I was pleased with Ruth’s instruction and my vase. I would take a class from her again in the future and have had people tell me they want my vase! NOT HAPPENING! I made more trips to the vendors and the exhibit room to submit my Voter’s Choice ballot and drop my raffle tickets into the boxes for baskets woven by five wonderful teachers who I have had the pleasure of weaving with at least once in the past 25 years. I made certain to renew my membership to the AMB at that time as well.

Saturday, I wove with Polly Adams Sutton for a second consecutive year. We wove the “Splits and Knotholes” basket. I didn’t complete it in class as I am not a fast weaver and am very ANAL (spell my name backwards) when it comes to my weaving. I also took time out for a wonderful lunch with Polly and Marla (Sunday’s teacher) and their friend Linda. I could have finished if I had not gone off to play! My basket is complete as I write and I love it. The materials are so easy to work with and it is a change from my typical basket choice.





Saturday evening was full of activities. First I was treated to the Dessert Gathering—oh how yummy! That was followed by the annual meeting where I was asked to speak as the Grace Kabel Scholarship winner. The meeting was followed by the exhibit awards and the raffle drawings. My luck was complete for the year and others took home the baskets. Following the scheduled activities, I was on duty as a volunteer in the exhibit room—distributing baskets to the exhibitors, and assisting with the loading of the exhibit paraphernalia into the appropriate vehicles for the trip back home. Nancy Vanderwall and her helpers did an excellent job once again.

Saddened to realize it was Sunday, I headed out early for my final 2010 convention class with Marla Helton. I had always wanted to complete a gourd basket, and her “Beaded Elegance” allowed me to do just that. With Marla’s great sense of humor and my first time working with gourds, I enjoyed all we did and all I learned. Best of all—I love my gourd!



My convention was a complete success!!! Four out of five baskets totally finished and only an hour to go on the final basket. So, it is with a grateful heart and a humble spirit that I left convention with a sense of gratitude and renewal. I once again want to thank the selection committee and Leslie for making the call that made my night on May 16th and my convention a memory I will forever hold dear. May God bless you all and the next recipient of the Grace Kabel Scholarship.




Picture: Lana Schultz—2010 Grace Kabel Scholarship Recipient wearing raffle bracelet donated by Grace Sturges



Top shelf (l to r): “Victorian Christmas Basket” woven under Grace Kabel’s instruction a a wall flower vase woven by Grace Kable

Second shelf (l to r): “Dark Hour Glass Vase” taught by Ruth Garcia
“Small Jewelry Basket” taught by Marlys Sowers
“Splits and Knotholes” taught by Polly Adams Sutton
“Little Show Off” taught by Pamela Talsky
“Beaded Elegance” taught by Marla Helton

No comments: