Friday, June 11, 2010

I know it has been a long time...

but my time is not always my own. I have spent so many hours doing research and making phone calls and meeting with people and discussing my findings with Mom & the siblings and visiting the nursing home and doctors' offices and lawyer's office, etc. I really don't know where to begin.

I guess to get to the point, Dad came home on April 16, which was his 100th day at Maple Woods Manor. He has continued to have in-home PT and OT and nurses and such through this week. All of those things are now winding down and coming to an end this week and next. Dad continues to have difficulty walking. His knees are bone-on-bone and cause him a great deal of pain when he tries to walk. Thus he is not out of the house much, as is true of Mom as well.

I have done everything humanly possible to wrap up the multitude of loose ends over the course of the past 5 1/2 months with the aid of siblings when I was not available. Ray & I did take our final trip to CO which culminated in visits to NC and VA. That was such a welcome R & R for me, but came to an end way too soon.

Through the course of this ordeal, I have suffered with ever increasing ill health myself. All my problems are directly stress related. I could not deal with my failing health any longer and went to see my doctor who sent me for an endoscopy. It was determined that I have a hiatal hernia, and acid reflux which has caused a Schatzki's Ring which is causing the esophagus to close and spasm at times. They dialated the esophagus and did a biopsy which (thanks to the grace of God) came back clear. I am now on medication twice a day to get the acid production under control. I can really tell if I forget to take my medicine.

Stress will kill ya! I hated being put on a medication that I will now most likely have to take the rest of my life, but when my doctor told me that he might have to put me on medication for hypertension as well, that was just too much to take. I began checking out meditation techniques and making sure I exercise daily--lots of golf. I check my BP daily when I am home and it is down from the 186/104 that scared the begeebers out of me to a respectable 113-140 over 70-89. It depends on the day and what has gone on whether it is at the lower or the higher end of the spectrum. My doctor is no longer talking medication at this point.

So, life continues with its highs and lows. We love hearing the good news and hate hearing the bad. I continue to pray for my girls and their families as there have been some very difficult and trying events in their lives as well as some fantastic events and activities. My prayers to you and yours as you walk the maze of life never knowing what will be around the other corner. I know God will be there with you. So enjoy the journey!!!

No comments: