Following Thanksgiving with Jaime & Jeff and their kids (4), I departed on Dec. 7 for NC where Rae Ann & Bob were expecting their first baby. Ray headed for Copper Mountain and Winter Park, CO, to enjoy some skiing while I played Mom/Grammy. I enjoyed pampering Rae Ann & Bob with home-cooked meals and treats. They honored me by allowing me to see Ian’s birth on the 14th. Ian immediately stole my heart as have all my Grands. He looks like a mini-Bob. He is our 9th GRANDchild.

In the spirit of the CHRISTmas season of 2009, it snowed in NC and I had to clear off my car??? I made more good meals and even more treats for those who came to see the new baby and celebrate CHRISTmas. Becky & Jay & the kids spent CHRISTmas with Rae Ann, Bob, Ian and I. What a celebration!!! A celebration of the reason for the season and the new birth of a son in the Lhuillier home. I made Ian’s baptism romper and was honored on the 23rd when asked to become a sponsor for his baptism on December 27.

On our way to the baptism, Ray called to inform me that my Dad had experienced some sort of episode and was not able to walk. I was leaving early the next a.m. for home, so this weighed heavily on my mind. I drove directly to my parents’ home and found Mom & Kerry & Ray trying to care for Dad. The next few days brought more difficulties for Dad who now could not walk or use his arms or talk much or make sense of things. He began having chest pains so he was taken to the hospital. Dad’s doctor was vacationing in Hawaii at the time and could not be reached. He spent a week at Genesys and was released to Maple Woods Manor with an uncertain diagnosis of CHF. His symptoms were that of a stroke, but doctors would not concur with that diagnosis. Ray made another trip to CO--skiing at Steamboat, Copper Mountain and Winter Park while we got things settled with Dad. Mom & I made almost daily trips to the home and lawyers and meetings, etc. It was taking its toll on both of us.
I needed a break, so on Feb. 19 we headed West. Ray's Mom and Jaime have birthdays on the 20th, so we celebrated early. Leona turned 88 this year! Ray & I arrived at Copper Mountain on the 22nd. Daily skiing is the norm for Ray--I just did a lot of vegging in front of Food Network after my daily exercise or snowshoeing. We moved to Winter Park on the 26th. Ray's skiing buddy, Roy, invited us to their place for a pastie dinner--homemade the UPer way. He is from the UP after all. We learned that Mom had been taken to the ER on the 26th due to fainting. My oldest brother, Larry, brought Mom home on March 3 with no diagnosis. Ray & I moved southwest to NC on the 4th. Ray saw his newest grandson for the first time on the 6th. We had a nice visit with Rae Ann, Bob and Ian and got in some golf while we were there; then we headed to VA to see Becky, Jay & the kids. After several days of fun in the sun, and a trip to the Richmond Zoo, we headed back to MI. On March 24, Mom fainted and was taken back to the hospital. She came home again on the 30th with no diagnosis. Ray’s Mom had hernia surgery on April 2. Dad came home from Maple Woods after his 100 days of Medicare on April 16. I had an EGD on April 21 due to esophageal spasms and was found to have a hiatal hernia, Schotzki’s ring, and damage to the lower esophagus due to acid reflux. The doctor dialated the esophagus and did a biopsy, which returned on May 5 showing no cancer. I don’t handle stress well, obviously--so now I am on medication for the first time in my life. That is why I enjoy golfing so very much--I am able to set aside all other thoughts and just concentrate on my game. Very therapeutic!
On April 23, Jaime and I and the kids headed to KY Horse Park where we met up with Jeff (who was working down there that Friday) and Rae Ann, Bob & Ian. We enjoyed the weekend so much: horses, a pool, good restaurants, and excellent company to take my mind off back home.


We were able to get out golfing (Ray regularly and myself occasionally) and played in the Memorial Day Scramble, Scotch Ball, the Tawas outing, the Labor Day Scramble and Senior Moments. I golfed on Doe Day to support the Susan G. Komen Foundation and Ray golfed on Stag Day for a charity as well. I was able to sub for my friend, Mary, on the Tuesday night couple’s league several times. We were invited to the end-of-the-season league get-together and had a great time with the new friends I had made on Tuesday nights.
Camping began this year with Linwood and some walleye fishing, Higgins Lake with Jaime & Jeff’s Raven, Chase and Maddie for some water fun.


The family reunion was held once again and Ray & I were snagged into playing in the horseshoe tournament. Ray was runner-up.
My Dad turned 86 on June 30th. Rae Ann & Bob & Ian came home July 3rd and helped celebrate my Mom’s 80th birthday—which was July 2nd. We had 29 family members from near and far in our garage in that terrible heat to help her celebrate her special day that Fourth of July.


Camping at Port Crescent State Park allowed us to spend time with our Detroit friends and to stock our freezer with some tasty walleye.

Our yearly salmon-fishing trip to Manistee was once again a success with lots of salmon in the freezer as well. Glenn & Linda traveled from ID and to MI and spent a few days with us. Dan & Peggy and Ray & I enjoyed seeing them again.

Ray & I celebrated our 40th anniversary while camping at Orchard Beach State Park.

Mom returned to the hospital on August 31, so I was on duty 24/7 with Dad for just under 3 weeks. The VA began coming into the home to assist Dad in the mornings. Mom spent 15 days in Covenant and was then moved to transitional care for another week of rehab. She was finally diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. She had two of the attacks while there in the hospital this time. They also found that she had fractured her tailbone when she passed out and fell at home.
Mom returned home just before our trip south to Jaime & Jeff's on Sept. 22 and then on to NC on the 23rd and GA on the 25th to help Becky celebrate her birthday. Jay had been deployed to Iraq by this time. We spent a day touring Savannah's Historical District and Riverfront. We were lucky to get seating for all seven of us at Paula Deen's restaurant, "Lady and Sons". We had the buffet so we could try as many southern dishes as possible. We were not disappointed. There was nothing on there that wasn't absolutely delicious. We each had one of three choices for dessert, so we made sure we got one of each so we could try them all. Well, let's just say that after trying them, I went over to the gift shop and bought Paula's autographed "Just Desserts" cookbook. Ray turned 61 while we were there as well. Becky’s four are all involved in competitive swim and I was able to see the little fish practice.

We went North to NC for a few days again before we headed back to MI. I watched Ian on October 1. He had been running a fever and was not able to go to daycare. He seemed to have never ending ear infections. Ray began his bow hunting season a little late due to our trip south, but was able to down a 6-point buck on October 19.


I attended the annual Association of Michigan Basketmakers convention from October 19-24 as the recipient of the Grace Kabel Scholarship. I made five wonderful baskets with the help of some amazing teachers. (See the previous blog post for a detailed account of my time in Grand Rapids. It is the article I was asked to write for our “Basket Reeder” newsletter.)
I also wove my dear friend, Mary, a chip & dip set which she had mentioned she would like. I created my own pattern which I called "Bud & Blossom". She seemed a little speechless that someone would do that for her and Dallas. She's the sweetest woman.
Our lives have been so blessed with our three daughters and their husbands and more GRANDchildren than we ever imagined. But the blessings continue as Rae Ann & Bob once again had an IVF implant on Nov. 3. We learned on the 17th that she was indeed pregnant. We learned that there was one baby (not 3). That baby is due July 22. November 3 I gave my first ever double-red blood donation which is most often used for cancer/chemo/leukemia patients. I love it when we are home when the blood drive is taking place. We were also blessed with the addition of 3-year old GRANDson Vaughn to our family on Michigan Adoption Day, November 23. A public ceremony was held in Oakland County. Jaime & Jeff and the kids were asked to come forward to lead the courtroom in the Pledge of Allegiance. Vaughn was among the adoptions finalized that day. That brought our number to 10 GRANDS!!!!!!!!!!

As you can see, life is never boring around here with skiing, camping, hunting, golfing, weaving, family, etc. We attended 3 or 4 beer tastings at Black Forest in Frankenmuth. Our final day of golf at our home course was November 22 (Abbey's birthday) but we only got in 8 holes before the downpour. Ray & I were both playing one of our best games of the season that day. That was also the day that we learned that our credit card information had been breeched. One of the businesses we had patronized was hacked, so our account was closed. What a terrible time to have that happen. So, I had no way to place my orders online for CHRISTmas and had to carry cash or use a check for all store purchases. Held me up from my goal of being done by Thanksgiving weekend.
We see the girls and the GRANDS whenever we have an open calendar. I've seen Raven play soccer, volleyball and play her flute in her first concert. I've watched Chase play T-ball, but was unable to watch him in swim lessons. We're not allowed to watch Maddie's dance class. I try to head down to Lake Orion when I don't have anything on the calendar on weekends. Just as I did today. I took the kids to see "Tangled". And this brings us back to where we started a year ago, with Thanksgiving. This was not our year to have Jaime & Jeff & family, and the NCs and GAs did not come up as they are all planning to drive North to spend CHRISTmas with us here in MI. So it was just Ray's Mom for Thanksgiving dinner and she wanted walleye--no turkey for me. My Dad has a hard time getting into my house, so I took pumpkin pie over for them and my sister. Mom & Dad have good days and bad and are holding their own. Ian celebrates his first birthday on December 14. They were having his birthday party today in NC and will have one here when we celebrate CHRISTmas. Rae Ann & Ian will arrive here on Dec. 18 (Bob's boss would not give him his vacation time). Becky and her four will arrive on the 19th as the kids have a swim meet on the 18th. So, as I attempt to prepare our tiny house for at least 7 extra people this CHRISTmas, I have sent my dear husband, Ray, off to CO to get into the wonderful early-season skiing so that he would not bug me to death about being home. I have lots to do—-organizing space, decorating for the first time in years, and cooking. I want to be ready to spend as much time as I can with our company.
So on that note, it is time to call it a wrap on this our 2010 YEAR-IN-REVIEW. May you have a very Merry CHRISTmas with those you love, and may your 2011 be blessed from heaven. Safe travels!







No comments:
Post a Comment