Monday, October 26, 2009

Don't faint...

Yes--I am posting once again--this soon!!! I was still a month behind and really need to get caught up on so many things like this before I head to NC.

Ray & I had our check-ups with our orthopedic surgeon on September 30. Ray doesn't have to go in for 5 years if his heterotopic bone formation in his right hip behaves itself. The statistics show that the growth should have subsided by now. I do not have to go in for another 3 years, unless the left knee begins to rule my life. I cancelled the March 17, 2009, surgery and am not rescheduling that anytime in the near future.

I took a hard fall (like a felled tree) on October 1st. I landed on the left knee (which jammed the left hip) and then landed on the left elbow (which jammed the left shoulder and the cervical vertebrae of the neck). I have been seeing my chiropractor twice a week since in an effort to correct the damage.

October 10th we enjoyed the 12th annual Tender Vines wine & cheese party. Great wine and great eats.

I got my eyes checked on the 14th and found that the right eye has deteriorated, but not significantly enough to require new glasses.

On the 15th, I went to Dr. Gaffney, dermatologist to see about the areas on my face that were of concern. He found a pre-cancerous area on the front right cheek and had it frozen. I go back Nov. 12 to have it checked out.

Spent the day with Jeff & Jaime and kids on the 17th--just for the heck of it.

Counted money at church on the 18th after the 11 a.m. service which is scheduled monthly.

Keep in mind, I have been seeing the chiropractor twice a week for the entire month. I went again Monday, the 19th, for one last opportunity to get in shape before Basketweaving Convention.

Well, before I begin rambling on even more about myself, let me just say that Ray is fine and has a routine that few will understand who read this. He eats and hunts and golfs and does yard work and eats and prepares to hunt and harvests the garden and eats and hunts and then off to bed to rise early again the next morning to begin a day like the one before. It is not that I don't want to tell you more, but I didn't feel it necessary to discuss the 3 Ss. :-)

I left for the 2009 annual basketweaving convention, CARing & SHARing on Tuesday, October 20. I stopped to see friends, Connie & Al of Charlotte, MI, on my way to Battle Creek. Connie showed me her newest quilts, including the one she designed and quilted. She won several ribbons ranging from "Best of Show" to first place/championship for her efforts. They are gorgeous as always. After catching up on all the news since August, I had to be on my way. I wanted to arrive at the McCamly Plaza Hotel before dark and before the lobby became too busy.

I prioritized my classes in a different manner this year when applying for convention so that I would hopefully receive a class for each of the five days--and it worked. So, on Wednesday, the 21st, I went to my 6-hour class to learn the "Cathead Catch All Basket" from Dianne Gleixner of Brookfield, WI. She was a great teacher and I finished my basket early. I love it! It is just what I was looking for to put my crocheting/knitting in to store in the livingroom where I work on my projects. Jaime took such a liking to it via the picture that she has put in a request for one, and Becky saw it recently and wants one also.


On Thursday, the 22nd of October, I went to an 8-hour class taught by Jo Hoersten of Fremont, MI. I had woven an antler basket with Jo in the past, but this year's class was called "Bountiful Earth", and was a two-toned pottery vase on which we wove a patterned band with waxed linen. I really enjoyed the weaving and having a class with Jo again. I finished ahead of time once again love the vase!!!


My friends, Linda and Helena and Lucy arrived Thursday evening, so I was able to eat something other than the sandwich bag manicotti I made and took to eat while I was there without a roomie. Linda stayed in my room, so it was much more enjoyable to have some quality conversation in the evening.

Friday, October 23rd, I was able to take a class from one of my favorite teachers ever, Pam Talsky from Waterford, WI. This was my number 1 choice for this year's convention. I wove for 8 hours to make a "Covered Pine Needle Jar". It is more like stitching pine needles together. I decided to make my jar bigger than the one the instructor presented and larger than the other class members chose to make. The jar is supposed to be 2 3/4" in diameter and 2" high. Mine is 3 3/16" in diameter. I have not finished the jar, but no one in class finished. As you look at the pictures, you will see that I have a spiral design both inside and out on my jar. In order to do this, you must concentrate on your stitch as you enter the outside and also as you exit the inside. That requires twice as much time as it does for the rest of the class who chose to have only the spiral on the bottom showing, and only the vertical alignment of stitches on the outside rather than both inside and out. My absolute favorite basket ever was one of Pam's that I wove last year with pine needles. It will take some time to complete the jar, but I can do it anywhere at any time because of the materials required.




Saturday's basket was an 8-hour class by Susan Coyle of Menasha, WI, called "Tapestry". I have had Susan in the past for her "Wisteria" basket which I finished beading while I was laying in the continual-motion machine for my knee a year ago. I wanted a basket that complements the previous one which looks great in my bedroom. I did not finish the basket, but--once again--neither did anyone else. It requires a great deal of time to place the beads after the basket is woven, so we do that before we rim the basket. I have completed the beading and have only the rim to attach. The teacher was not sure of the colors I chose, but when she saw the completed basket, she was very pleasantly surprised at how beautiful it turned out to be. Susan's husband is a saint and works up our rims when we have our baskets finished. All we have to do is lash them in place.



Finished this basket on the morning of Tuesday, November 10.


My final class was 4 hours on Sunday morning. I wove a "Mini Cedar" with Polly Adams Sutton of Seattle, WA. It is less than 2 inches in any direction and is woven with copper wire Xs all around. I love the basket and the materials. The teacher had some space cadet moments while teaching for the fifth day in a row. We had fun and I would definitely work with these materials again on a grander scale. I finished the basket. *Sorry for the poor picture quality, but my camera does not do a good job on closeups of small items.


So, I had a great convention once again. It was nice to have a roommate once again after at least 2-3 years of going alone. I didn't do as well as last year, but finishing 3 of 5 with the others close to completion is acceptable in my book. So Linda and I headed home with another stop to pick up some Brazilian Embroidery supplies from Connie and dinner at LaSeniorita on 127 off I-69. Stiff neck from weaving with my head down for 34 convention class hours. Have to take Dad to the cardiologist on the 26th, but sure hope the chiropractor has an opening on the 27th!!!

No comments: