Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Okay--so where did that month go???

Life just doesn't seem to slow down! I know I impose most of the stuff upon myself, but I am ready for a break already!!!

Since the last blog entry, Ray & I golfed the "Senior Moments" tournament. The teams were so tight that the winning teams had 55 for the 18 holes, and the losing teams had 58. Ray was on one of the teams that scored 56 and his team was drawn to take the second-place money. I was on one of the teams that got a 58, but was not the team drawn for the $$$. We had a great time with a dog at the turn and dinner afterwards--tossed salad, homemade meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, green beans, roll, and apple/cherry crisp. Yummm

Sept. 15--Took my Dad to his urologist to have his first bladder test and all went well.

Sept. 17--went down to Jaime's and we finished the rest of the shopping and plans for Rae Ann & Bob's baby shower. Jaime showed me the centerpieces she had made to also serve as gifts.


I spent every waking moment in the month of September getting ready for this shower. I made necklaces and bracelets and pendant and earring sets for the guests. I even made a bracelet out of perler beads for each of the little girls who would be attending in their favorite color.


I worked on the baby afghan (in colors to match the Nojo "Jungle Tales" nursery bedding), too, but didn't get it or the second fleece blanket (Precious Moments sports theme) finished until 2 or 3 days after Rae Ann & Bob had gone home. They are packed to go to NC with me.



Sept. 23--I made the blue finger jello and cut it out in the shape of giraffes, lions, and elephants. Becky worked on making the white chocolate sweets for the party favors while she was home in NY and brought them with her.


Sept. 24--we were treated to a visit from our Colorado friends, Roy & Marlene, who enjoyed a meal of Michigan salmon with us. After they departed, we took on the task of bringing the trailer up behind the garage for Rae Ann & Bob's little home-away-from-home while they were here in MI. I had the back of the Enclave loaded with all the shower gifts and decorations and serving dishes and all the rest of the stuff that wasn't coming with Becky or Jaime. Rae Ann & Bob arrived late that evening after enjoying dinner with some MI friends.

Sept. 25th--I baked sugar cookies, and then Ray & I helped Kerry harvest grapes from four locations. Becky & Jay and the kids arrived between 2-3 p.m. Becky frosted the little feet cookies blue while we were helping Kerry, so that task was complete. Ray and I got home around 5 p.m. and after a quick shower, we headed to Outback for dinner with the E-N-T-I-R-E family to celebrate Becky's birthday that day. What a treat to have absolutely everyone together again. Upon returning home, Becky got sleeping arrangements settled for her family and I baked the chocolate sheet cake for the shower.

Sept. 26th--headed to Meijer early in the a.m. and picked up all the fruit for the fruit bowl. Met Tara at the hall at 9:25 a.m. and began the process of unloading all the stuff. Becky & Jay arrived with the raspberry swirl cake which they had picked up from Zehnder's.


They began decorating the drapes (which were behind the head table) with the cute animals she had created to go with the nursery theme.


Having displayed the jewelry gifts for guests, I began work on the fruit salad. When Jaime & Jeff arrived, the decorating took on a whole new dimension with table covers and confetti and centerpieces and cute displays here there and everywhere.

The shower went so well. Becky had prepared a "guess what's in the bag" game which was a fun change from the traditional baby shower games.

The only thing that was a flop was the coffee. I'm not sure if a faulty coffee pot was the cause. Food was the second order of business with Rae Ann & Bob cutting the cake which divulged the name of the baby--Ian Robert--for the first time. The adorable three-tiered diaper cake that Jaime made finished off the table decor.

With the help of little food elves, we had way more food than any of us could eat. Food elves included: Jeanne/Tara who brought a yummy punch bowl type cake, Jess brought the wonderful dirt pudding/cake, and Larna brought the delicious blueberry type cheesecake. (Thanks to the elves for bringing the things we did not have space for in the refrigerator.)

Jaime had a special surprise for one of the guests seated at each table which allowed them to take their table centerpiece home.


Guests names were drawn from a basket throughout the gift opening and each and every guest was able to choose a piece of jewelry of their choice from the dozens of hand-crocheted necklaces and dozens of hand-beaded, peyote-stitch bracelets or beaded pendant and earring sets.

What a wonderful showering of love from family and friends toward the future parents.

September 27, 2009--the occasion of Ray's 60th birthday was less than eventful for him. Throughout the entire preparation process for the shower, he was pretty much on his own to amuse himself. He spent a lot of time on the golf course and I joined him when the weather or the men allowed. Today was a very special day for Sawyer, as he was baptised into the Lutheran Church. Becky graciously agreed to become his sponsor/Godmother. What a blessed weekend for our entire family.





Becky & Jay and kids headed back to NY on Monday the 28th, Rae Ann & Bob headed back to NC on Tuesday. Hmmm--sure seems lonely when they all leave.

*Please make sure you view the montage of the shower which follows this posting. Blessings to all!!!

No comments: