Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lots of tidbits...

My last blog entry was July 26??? I keep telling myself that I will get on here and do an update, but I can't seem to find/make the time. It was a whirlwind summer as usual.

We headed for Orchard Beach State Park in Manistee on the 5th of August...



(Snapshots of the view from the only site that is truly just off the (71) stairs to the beach below--our site.)



and returned home for the club championship at Willow Springs held on the 8th & 9th. We were rained out on the 8th, so it became a one-day event with me golfing the worst 18-hole round of the entire season. So, we headed back up to our new trailer and Orchard Beach S.P.



(Sunset from our campsite the evening of August 9th.)



What a life--fishing, golfing (Heathlands--twice, Manistee Country Club, Fox Hill), restaurants (Blue Slipper (three times), Bungalow (three times), & Glenwood where we celebrated our 39th anniversary on the 15th (with dessert on the house) and lots of "happy hours" visiting with friends from afar (Connie & Al from Charlotte, MI, and Carol & Mike from Green Springs, Ohio) and Peggy & Dan from Birch Run. We were saddened to learn that AC's has closed. They made the best pepperjack cheese soup and gourmet hot dogs. We also did a tiny bit of bike riding in Frankfort.



(This picture was taken in the early hours of August 12, and if you look very closely, you will see the layer of fog hovering just above the waterline along the dunes in the distance.)

Here are some fish pictures of our early morning trips on the water--sometimes alone and at other times with friends, Connie & Al or Peggy & Dan aboard:







Insert Dumbus moment: So Ray and I had a good day of fishing. We had our 6 fish and were bringing in the lines when another fish got on. So, we brought it in and even though it was bigger than the one we had netted just minutes earlier, we diligently nurtured it back to the point that it indeed swam away. We get into the docks with "OUR LIMIT" for the day and the DNR guy comes up to me while Ray is getting the truck & trailer and I am holding the boat.
He asks: "So, how did you do?"
I said: "We got our limit!"
He says: "You got 10?"
I said (thinking he was trying to trick me): "No, we caught 7 but we put the last one back because six was our limit."
He says: "Oh, no, that was last year's limit. They increased it this year to 5 per day of all species of salmon."
So, there you have it--the dumbus moment of the year--Ray never got a booklet because he did our fishing licenses on the computer and didn't want to print it from there, but never took the time to read it either!!! So, it was early enough and we were "in the fish" and most likely could have come in with our "this year's" limit on that day. Hmmmm





We boated 39 salmon out of Manistee this season.

Note: After literally dozen's of years taking Ray's picture with all the fish, I finally had a lightbulb moment: if we took two pictures from the same location, Ray in one and myself in the other, and we were standing on opposite sides of the fish, I would be able to attempt a fairly decent cut and paste so that it would represent the fact that I indeed drag myself out on that blessed boat at 4-5 a.m. to fill my freezer with the fish we desire for the year. On the first attempt, I forgot to tell Ray that he had to stand in the same location--so, not so great a cut & paste job. On the last picture--well, just Ray & Dan went and he did not have the presence of mind--even though he had witnessed the process four times previously--to have Dan stand at the opposite end of the fish. So, the fish Dan is holding is actually one of the fish that is hanging on the fish rack. Only seven fish were caught that day.

Upon returning home, I met with Jaime who, along with Becky (long distance), is planning a shower for "you know who's" baby (was able to take the Kinsers out to lunch.) That evening Ray & I attended my cousin, Leona's & Glenn's, 50th wedding anniversary and had a great time--Glenn's homemade wine, catered dinner and dancing. Great night out!!!

Then began a whirlwind of Dr. appointments for Mom & Dad that began the 21st and ended the 27th--for a while. Progress on some fronts, but same-o, same-o on others.

I helped my Sis celebrate her birthday (August 31) early with dinner and a movie AND POPCORN on the 29th. We don't get together often enough.

Ray & I have been trying to get in one round of golf somewhere other than our home course at least once a week. We've golfed Washaki, Sawmill, and Bay Valley (2nd attempt--first one rained out).

We golfed Copper Ridge on Mon. the 31st with dinner at the Sagebrush Cantina with the Kinsers afterwards. Then we brought Raven and Chase home for a couple days where they were treated to Chuck E Cheese and the movie, "Shorts" on Tuesday while Ray scrambled with the WS guys. On Wed., Sept. 2nd, we took Raven and Chase back home and golfed the Fountains with Jeff (which now became my worst round of the season--118). We joined Jaime and the kids at the Labyrinth for a short peaceful walk and followed that with dinner at Mesquite Creek for all.

On the 5th I got a chance to see the hall we have reserved for the shower, and am getting excited for the event. Rae Ann had a Dr. appointment on the 8th and things are going very well. Baby Lhu Lhu's heart rate is and has been excellent throughout the journey to his birth. As of that date, she was only 97 days out from her due date.

We golfed in the Holiday Scramble at Willow Springs on Labor Day, the 7th. We were paired up with the owner's son and his wife. Ray & I were pleased to come in with a score of 80 for the 18 holes. We progressively improve with each year. You couldn't have asked for a better Labor day.

Ray was off golfing again Tuesday and I was busy making "Thank you for coming" gifts for the upcoming shower. I can't spend all my time golfing--even though I would love to on such gorgeous days--I have other responsibilities.

On Wednesday, the 9th, Ray & I golfed 18 at Green Acres where his former co-worker, Jim Hauck who works the desk there. When Ray & I finished lunch and Jim was finished working, we all went back out for another 9. That is the first time I have ever golfed a 27 in my life and my first time to be able to golf with Jim. What a beautiful day for golf with a friend. My body is starting to get back to normal.

On Thursday, the 10th, we headed for the property in National City (near Hale), and stopped at Green Hills for an 18-hole round. Then off to the property where Ray checked hunting stands for the quickly approaching bow season. We went to Chef's Table for some scrumptious food--including their "to die for" Coconut Creme Pie (best I've ever had!) Then early Friday morning we headed back to Chef's Table for breakfast before the Willow Springs gang arrived at the Tawas Creek Golf Course on the 11th for an 18-hole scramble. (The coordinator payed tribute to all those who lost their lives in the terrorist attack 8 years prior.) Ray's team teed off right after mine, so he literally followed me around the entire course. We won "not a penny" for our efforts, but had a great time. Then it was back to the Chef's Table for one last chance at that Coconut Creme Pie--but to make it a bit healthier, I had a bowl of soup first. I wish I had a really good recipe for coconut creme pie. I love theirs so much that I took a piece home in our cooler for Mom & Dad.

So, today is another day that will be spent on making those "Thanks for coming" gifts for the shower. Monday we will both be back on the course for "Senior Moments" at Willow Springs. The golf season is winding down, but the desire to golf still lives on. That's it for now!!!

No comments: