Saturday, February 6, 2010

I was going to...

write in here about all the events while I was down in NC. But the fact of the matter is that if you just check out the lhulhubaby blog which has a link on the right, you will know most of what I might have said.

I was also going to write on January 12--my birthday--so all of you would be able to see the wonderful graphics Jaime put together for my blog as a surprise birthday present. It was a total surprise to me and I love it!!! Yes, that's right--we are now up to "9" grandchildren!!! And can you guess what my favorite color is???

The thing which has occupied my days and my nights since the morning of December 27, as we (Rae Ann, Bob, Betsye, Ian and myself) were on our way to Ian's baptism ceremony in NC is my Dad. He had suffered an episode of some sort which left him without the use of his legs. It then continued to include his arms. He proceeded to decline to the point where there was some confusion and difficulty speaking. December 30 he was taken to the ER at Genesys where he spent a full week going through a series of tests ordered by his primary care physician, a neurological consult, and his cardiologist group. At the end of it all, they cannot tell us what had happened.

January 6 Dad was admitted to Maple Woods Manor nursing home in Clio for sub-acute care which includes PT/OT. He has continued to make progress with highs and lows. His endurance gets the best of him at times and he slides back a bit for a day or more. He did his very best this past Wednesday by doing a few (3) half-stairs and then walking from PT/OT to his room with a wheeled walker and then getting himself into bed without any assistance. Since then though, he has not done so well. His left knee has flared up and they reverted back to a sit-to-stand lift to get him into his chair and to the restroom and into bed. Each day is different and we never know what we will find when we get there.

Today is a weekend and I have vowed to take weekends off when the siblings are available to get Mom over to see Dad. Mom & I are generally there to see Dad Monday through Friday. We've attended meetings, meetings, and more meetings. I feel like I am back to work again--or better yet, that I am the secretary I always thought I would like to be if I weren't a teacher. I spend a lot of time taking notes and typing them up for the siblings as they are all still working.

Ray has enjoyed two ski trips so far this year. One while I was in NC with the birth of Ian, and the second while I stayed behind to help Mom take care of matters here in Michigan. My brain is drained and I have seen better days, but I am a realist and as the first middle child, I am doing the very best I can for both of my parents. I hope and pray that all of you are enjoying good health and happy times. Seize the day!!!

No comments: