To make a long story short, I have very good flexion and extension. The only thing I got in trouble for was stopping my pain medication too soon. He believes it has hindered my progress by doing so. I have very little strength in my quad muscle and cannot do stairs in a normal manner yet.
I had an at length discussion with Dr. Weir about my concerns that my right leg and right arm may not be ready for a replacement of my left knee in March. He said that it generally takes 5-6 months for the replacement to feel like a normal knee again. I have only 4 months and 11 days to recuperate. My right leg will be the weight-bearing leg for getting up and down out of a sitting or lying position as well as getting into the car. My right arm will bear the bulk of my 30-pound over-weight body after surgery. That is a problem.
So after going around the block several times figuratively and discussing all angles of treatment, we decided that therapy would stop on the knee and I would religiously do 20 minutes on the stationery bike daily and sit fully flexed or fully extended 24/7.
That allows all further therapy at Diversified to be concentrated on getting the shoulder back to 100%. I will see Dr. Weir again on Feb. 11, at which time we will re-evaluate the progress of the knee and the shoulder and determine whether a total knee replacement of the left knee is a good decision. If not, I will not opt for the March 17 scheduled procedure but will wait until a later date.
Ray and I both learned that I cannot base my treatment and use of pain killers on his experience with his hip. Dr. Weir expressed concern that I thought I was to get off the pain meds asap. He wrote me a script for Lorocet so I can get the pain calmed down when I need to, and also wants me to take Advil PM so that I can hopefully/finally get a good night's sleep.
That's it for now. Hope all of you are well! Button down the hatches--looks like we'll be riding out another winter storm.
Nerve 2016 Engelske Stemmer
6 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment